Just to be clear, we don't promise that your sponsorship will "pay for itself," and we don't even consider it an ad in the usual sense, because what we write about each book, or even whether we accept it as a sponsor, is entirely up to us. But we do guarantee that when you sponsor Kindle Nation you'll get a great deal of exposure, and we believe good exposure can give a good book a chance to connect with readers.
The only rigid requirement is that your Kindle edition must be priced at $9.99 or below, since the Free Book Alerts are all about helping our readers find great reads that are also great bargains. However, we strongly encourage you to take further steps -- title, cover image, product description, reviews, price, and of course the quality of the book itself! -- to make your book as attractive to readers as possible so that you don't waste your money, our time, or our readers' attention.
After you sign up and send us information and materials on your book, we'll respond within 7 business days with a schedule for your sponsorship to appear. (We appreciate your patience with our response time, which is a result of our time-consuming effort to make sure that all sponsored titles meet Kindle Nation Daily standards. We reserve the right to reject any sponsorship and will refund a prospective sponsor's full payment immediately upon make such a determination.)
We do make editorial decisions based on our sense of our readers' interests. If for any reason we choose not to provide you with a sponsorship opportunity we will refund your payment in full. Please be aware that we must occasionally make small changes to sponsorship schedules -- usually involving no more than 2 or 3 days -- due to our efforts to provide the best possible reading experience for readers and subscribers.
- CHECK OUT OUR TRACK RECORD
- SELECT A SPONSORSHIP OPTION
- CHECK ON AVAILABILITY AND SCHEDULE IN ADVANCE
- SIGN UP AND PAY WITH PAYPAL OR A CREDIT CARD
- SEND YOUR EBOOK INFORMATION AND MATERIALS AND AWAIT OUR SCHEDULING EMAIL
- TIPS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
We update these public spreadsheets daily to show complete, fully transparent results for our sponsors:
- Option 1 - Free Book Alert Sponsorship - 1 Day: Kindle Nation Daily Free Book Alert sponsorship live on web and pushed directly via Whispernet to over 6,000 Kindles owned by paid subscribers.
- Option 2 - Free Kindle Nation Short Excerpt Email Sponsorship - 1 Day: Free Kindle Nation Shorts excerpt and sponsorship to be emailed to 5,000 opt-in free email subscribers and pushed directly via Whispernet to over 6,000 Kindles owned by paid subscribers. It's your choice whether to sponsor another author's Free Kindle Nation Short or your own, but the most powerful option is to sponsor your own.
- Option 3 - Free Book Alert Sponsorship - Weekly Newsletter Email Blast: Weekly Kindle Nation newsletter email blast sponsorship emailed each Tuesday to 5,800 opt-in free email subscribers. This is one of our most powerful sponsorship options because the free opt-in newsletter with live web links to your book achieves a very high level of engagement and response. This option tends to be sold out 6-8 weeks in advance, so schedule early if possible!
- Option 4 - Gold Sponsorship: This is a powerful medley of sponsorships that includes Options 1, 2, and 3: the Free Kindle Nation Short Excerpt Email Sponsorship, the Free Book Alert Sponsorship - 1 Day, and the Free Book Alert Sponsorship - Weekly Newsletter Email Blast. Since the Weekly Newsletter Email Blast option tends to be sold out months in advance, it is important to plan ahead for the Gold Sponsorship. (If you sign up for a Gold sponsorship, please specify whether you prefer to have all of your sponsorship days occur in the same week, or to have your daily and excerpt sponsorships occur as soon as possible rather than being held to occur in the same week as your weekly sponsorship).
- Option 5 - Silver Sponsorship: The Silver Sponsorship combines options 1 and 2 and allows a savings of $10 on the package.
- Option 6 - eBook of the Day Sponsorship - 1 Day: This package includes several elements: a one-day Planet iPad Free Book Alert Sponsorship; a small linked mention of title and author near the top of the Kindle Nation Daily website for at least 18 hours; a single "Kindle for the Web" sample post on the Kindle Nation Daily website at some time between noon and 8 pm Eastern, with brief linked mention of title and author; one Facebook status post and one Twitter tweet linking back to the "Kindle for the Web" sample post; one sidebar "eBook of the Day" box on the Kindle Nation Daily website for at least 18 hours, with linked title, author, and cover art; and an "eBook of the Day" box on key pages of the Kindle Lending Club website for at least 18 hours.
- Option 7 - Platinum Sponsorship: The Platinum Sponsorship combines options 1, 2, and 6 and allows a savings of $20 on the package.
- Option 8 - Kindle Lending Club Sponsorship - Weekly Newsletter Email Blast: Weekly Kindle Lending Club newsletter email blast sponsorship emailed each Wednesday to over 12,000 opt-in free email subscribers. Since this option is available for just one sponsorship each week, you may wish to schedule early if possible.
- Option 9 - Ruby Sponsorship Package: The Ruby package combines options 1 and 6 and allows a savings of $20 on the package.
As of April 5, 2011 the closest available dates for the several sponsorship options are as follows:
- Option 1 - Free Book Alert Sponsorship - 1 Day: JULY 25, 2011
- Option 2 - Free Kindle Nation Short Excerpt Email Sponsorship - 1 Day: OCTOBER 5, 2011
- Option 3 - Free Book Alert Sponsorship - Weekly Newsletter Email Blast: JANUARY 31, 2012
- Option 4 - Gold Sponsorship (The Gold package is composed of options 1, 2, and 3, so each component's availability is based on its specific options' availability. The decision, then, when someone signs for a Gold sponsorship, involves whether she prefers to have all of her sponsorship days occur in the same week, or to have her daily and excerpt sponsorships occur as soon as possible rather than being held to occur in the same week as her weekly sponsorship.If you sign up for a Gold sponsorship, please specify whether you prefer to have all of your sponsorship days occur in the same week, or to have your daily and excerpt sponsorships occur as soon as possible rather than being held to occur in the same week as your weekly sponsorship).
- Option 5 - Silver Sponsorship (The Silver package is composed of options 1 and 2, so each component's availability is based on its specific options' availability.)
- Option 6 - eBook of the Day: JUNE 25, 2011.
- Option 7 - Platinum Sponsorship (The Platinum package is composed of options 1, 2, and 6, so each component's availability is based on its specific option's availability.)
- Option 8 - Kindle Lending Club Weekly Newsletter Email Blast: JUNE 22, 2011.
- Option 9 - Ruby Sponsorship (The Ruby package is composed of options 1 and 6, so each component's availability is based on its specific option's availability.)
SIGN UP AND PAY WITH PAYPAL OR A CREDIT CARD
Please use the pull-down menus and buy button on this page to select an option that works for you.
- your title, 10-digit Kindle Store ASIN, and Kindle Store link;
- up to 150 words to help us describe your book to Kindle owners (but please note that we generally will take descriptive text and cover art from your book's Kindle Store page);
- any preferences regarding dates (although we are not always able to honor such preferences);
- and an e-copy of the entire book, as a review copy for me, in any format (MOBI, DOC, TXT, RTF, HTML, PDF but NOT EPUB, AZW or DOC-X) that I can easily send or convert to my Kindle; this may help me to provide a personal testimonial as well as your sponsorship copy. Please send the actual copy rather than a gift coupon or that sort of thing.
- If you send your sponsorship materials from an email address other than the address associated with your PayPal payment, it is essential that you include the PayPal-associated email address in the subject line of your email. Otherwise we will not be able to link the two emails and schedule your sponsorship.
- If you sign up for a sponsorship, please expect to wait about 7 business days (10-12 days overall) before you hear from us. We generally vet submissions before scheduling them, and even if we have already vetted yours, we schedule on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Remember that the combination of a $2.99 price and a well-targeted marketing campaign may help to turn your book into the kind of easy impulse buy that can help it to climb the bestseller list in its category. For more information on the real effect of prices in the Kindle Store, see this inexpensive ebook on pricing and royalties for Kindle books.
- A $2.99 price may not seem like much, but with the 70% Kindle Store royalty it could earn you over $2 per each copy sold, which compares favorably with paperback royalties from Big Six publishers.
- A Kindle Nation sponsorship will do a lot to shine a positive light on your book, but you can also help to make the most of that if your book has received some genuine positive customer reviews before the sponsorship occurs.
- Please pay close attention to file formatting specifications, or you will end up wasting significant time for both of us. When sending a review copy for me, use MOBI, DOC, TXT, RTF, HTML, PDF but NOT AZW or DOC-X. When sending a Free Kindle Nation Short excerpt, use DOC, TXT, RTF, HTML, but NOT MOBI, PDF, AZW or DOC-X.
- Sponsorships are generally posted by 12 noon Eastern time. Sometimes sales and sale rankings can take a few hours to update on the Kindle platform and in the Kindle store, so be patient. Most of our sponsors see a positive bump in sales and sales rankings about four to six hours after their sponsorships go live.
- While the vast majority of our sponsors have experienced dramatic short-term and long-term results, please be aware that we can't make a silk purse of a sow's ear here, and we can't even make a silk purse of a silk purse if the Kindle page for it makes it looks like a sow's ear. When a sponsor submits an erotica title with a full-color cover photograph of a model's hindquarters and 0 customer reviews (or poor customer reviews), there's a fair chance that the thousands of avid readers among our thousands of very discriminating subscribers will feel more insulted than inspired.
- We generally send you a link and a copy of our first tweet when we've posted your sponsorship, and you should feel free to use social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook to pass the word along and retweet our message.
- A number of our sponsors have asked me how they could best keep track of their sales rankings over time. I use free services called NovelRank and Title Z and they do a good job of tracking historical patterns.
- I should say here that although $9.99 is the maximum price we will allow for a sponsored title, our experience says that most authors sell so many more copies in the $2.99 to $4.99 range that it is well worth their choosing the lower price point in order to attract readers and maximize royalties.
- Please be aware that some of our sponsorships, including eBook of the Day and Free Kindle Nation Shorts sponsorships, actually post very late in the day and tend to have more impact the day following your scheduled date.
- If you request a cancellation or postponement of a sponsorship date after it has been scheduled, please understand that we may charge a change fee of $25 based on the time involved in processing your changes.